Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Un-fucking-believable

Here's the latest justification for the Shrub's possible loss in November, from the Queen of Denial herself, Peggy Noonan:

But let me share a thought I've been having that is not so jolly. It has to do with Mr. Bush's re-election prospects and a worry I have. History has been too dramatic the past 3 1/2 years. It has been too exciting. Economic recession, 9/11, war, Afghanistan, Iraq, fighting with Europe. fighting with the U.N., boys going off to fight, Pat Tillman, beheadings. It has been so exciting. And my general sense of Americans is that we like things to be boring. Or rather we like history to be boring; we like our lives to be exciting. We like history to be like something Calvin Coolidge dreamed: dull, dull. dull. And then we complain about the dullness, and invent excitements that are the kind we really like: moon shots, spaceships, curing diseases. Big tax cuts that encourage big growth that creates lots of jobs for young people just out of school.

No, I am not suggesting all our recent excitement is Mr. Bush's fault. History handed him what it handed him. And no, I am not saying the decisions he took were wrong or right or some degree of either. I'm saying it's all for whatever reasons been more dramatic than Americans in general like history to be.

Here is my fear: that the American people, liking and respecting President Bush, and knowing he's a straight shooter with guts, will still feel a great temptation to turn to the boring and disingenuous John Kerry.

Yeah, that's the ticket. The "People" really like and respect Bush, he's just too 'exciting' for them.

I ought to cease to be amazed at the lengths to which bushites will go to persuade themselves that the Worst. President. Ever. is really a huge success, just Misunderstood. But they continue to exceed my expectations.

Thanks to Josh Marshall for the heads-up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home