Wednesday, June 14, 2006

More national decorating

Shhh, don't tell the sisters, but I'm not a big god-believer. And if I were, I'm not sure I'd go so far as to trust a supernatural entity in charge of everything... that said, 'in god we trust' on coins is not an issue I'm going to be falling on a sword for.

But there's this guy... Some atheist sues over the phrase 'in God we trust' on coins, and the judge throws out the case, claiming that the phrase is more in the nature of a national motto and "is secular in nature and use".

So in effect, it's like honi soi qe mal e pense, or those Chinese symbols for 'tranquility' or 'harmony' that are stamped on purses for looks.

Is this a big 'victory' for the Religious Right? God downgraded to a secular bit of decor on coinage? When did our government get so big on decorating?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home