Saturday, October 15, 2005

Great Thread

There's a great thread on Shakespeare's Sister that's about to scroll off the front page, so I link it here. Topic: What movies made you cry?

Here's one for you - what books made you cry, and why?

My pick: in The Amber Spyglass, book three of His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, when Lyra and Will have to go thru the 'valley of death' kind of place and it becomes clear that Lyra's daemon spirit Pantalaimon won't be able to come with her and they don't know if they'll ever find each other again. Oh, WAHHH. (HDM series linked in sidebar.)

4 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger sumo said...

Black Beauty...I have worn the book out. I can't watch the movie anymore, much like Turner and Hootch...I cannot take sad animal movies. I was so outraged that the dog died instead of the vet fixing him up that I just got up and stormed out of the room. I know there are other books...but "Beauty" comes to mind first.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Antares said...

The end of the last book in the Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb, when Fitz and Nighteyes, "We dream of carving our dragon."
After everything they'd been through, it was the perfect final line and it brought tears to my eyes.

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Arachnae said...

Oh lord, the Farseer trilogy! There's lots of boohoos in that one. (Must re-read.)

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Karen said...

The death of Beth March, in "Little Women," still forces me to put down the book and sob sob sob.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home